Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Chapter 28 - Your hair will look so good, it's a crime!

There was a brief time in my life when I was a regular at a salon.  In my mid to late 20's I went to a wonderful stylist and friend (as did several of my friends, and my sister - we all loved going to Jimmy) and I was very good about keeping up with regular appointments.  Those days are long gone and you can tell by looking at me.

I could blame it on laziness, I could blame it on the fact that I have two small children and keeping up my appearance has moved way down on the list of priorities.  On the days I work from home, I have to remind myself to throw on a hat or pull my hair up into a ponytail before I run out the door. It could be that I don't want to shop around for another salon that I like and that's convenient to get to, and it could also be that paying for Lily's next couple months on the "Fun Bus" at school is a better use of $100 than getting highlights in my hair.  But, really these are all just excuses for the fact that I'm too lazy to make an appointment and too busy to keep it, and therefore my long (and getting longer) hair suffers. Oh well.  So, I'm low maintenance about my long hair....but I decided that I would try to keep up with it and make an improvement.  Since I had a few different highlights going on and my hair was various shades of light to dark blonde, I decided to get some home hair color and try to get it all back to the same shade.

I'd colored my hair at home before, and wasn't nervous or worried about it, but I did want to try to find a brand that wouldn't kill my hair with chemicals, I settled on one that I had never used before called Olia by Garnier (I think it's new) --

Anyway, as I said, I've colored my hair before and the box always comes with a pair of what they call "colorists gloves".  Easy as that! -- Just open the box and now you are officially a "colorist".  Nice.  Well, every one that I've ever used had either an opaque pair, or usually a clear pair.  But wait...what's this?  I open up the box of Olia and here's what I find:



Black gloves! -- YES!  I had to take a picture.  


 These gloves were awesome!!  Suddenly I felt like I was committing a crime.  (and if you saw how my hair turned out, well...that's not so far off) -

Anyway, don't believe me, just try it!  Try doing some simple things around your house while wearing shiny black gloves and all of a sudden, it feels sinister.  Make mashed potatoes while wearing gloves, you'll feel like you're about to poison someone.  Take the milk out of the fridge, you'll feel like you're stealing it.  Check your email...you'll feel like a cyber stalker! - Sort the mail, you're a spy!  Pet your cat, fill the sugar bowl, arrange some flowers... (for some reason those last three feel especially fiendish)

So, I can't say that I've learned my lesson about coloring my hair at home, but I can say that it was totally worth it for the gloves.


1 comment: