Friday, November 30, 2012

Chapter 24 - Jesus Where's My Coffee? : Nativity the Musical




My daughter Lily makes up songs all the time.  Some of them are actually pretty good, certainly better than anything I ever came up with.  Her classic “Chunkies, I Love You!” that she made up for her brother shortly after he was born has become a staple around our house.  There have been so many others, several of which she used to entertain our fellow commuters with on the M15, the dreaded daily ride that provided the adventures that birthed this rambling blog.  But, “Chunkies, I Love You” has always been my favorite.   Now there is a close second…

The other day, I heard her from the other room singing a new song that she had just made up, the lyrics were  “Jesus, Where’s My Coffee” over and over and over.  Of course my first thought was…great, I must have said those words at some point, Lily overheard me and now she has set it to music.  What other nasty Mommy remarks will be getting tossed about in jingle form at her daycare later??  So, I head into the room ready to explain to her that it certainly had nothing to do with Jesus that I couldn’t find my coffee, or some other such lame parental explanation, when I see her sitting on the floor playing with her Little People Nativity set.  She told me that it was Mary’s solo, and it was Jesus’s turn to make breakfast.  I sat down, hoping for a rousing chorus of “Lord Make that Bacon Crispy” – but, unfortunately the miniature-musical was over and I’d have to wait until later for more Nativity-based fun – which she did deliver over the past few days.

Lily’s Little People Nativity set was a gift from her Aunt Erin a few years ago. Ever since it came out of its box for the season  (we keep it in the Christmas box with the ornaments, stockings and giant tangled knots of lights) she has been playing with it constantly.  I decided in the past couple of days that I would take a picture everytime she replaced the characters.  Oh, and before I get to the recent ones, here is a picture I took two years ago in our New York City apartment when she decided to replace the 3rd Wiseman with a farmer  –  Gold, Frankincense and a sack of seeds...hmmmm, doesn't quite have the same ring to it....

 Well, in two years she's accumulated A LOT more little toys, and Old McDonald was the first of MANY replacements to the cast.

This one is from the other day when she replaced the the angel on top with everyone’s favorite supermodel/veterinarian/McDonald’s worker/whatever other occupation she’s currently holding:   Barbie!



  Barbie the Fairy swooped in and the Angel Gabriel got the boot.  Not to be outdone, apparently the Mermaid Barbie swam up to Bethlehem for the occasion as well – nice.  Hey, her eyes are up here, Joseph!


Now this next one was not actually Lily's doing.  It's from the other day when I decided to hide her “Elf on the Shelf” in the Nativity.  Zanina (for that is what Lily named her) needs a few new hiding places, so I thought adding her to the Nativity would be fun, maybe Lily will write her a song!  Then, first thing in the morning, I reconsidered.  My warped brain started thinking that there’s enough pressure on Lily worrying about the fact that Zanina flies away and talks to Santa every night.  If she thinks this jolly little snitch has a line into God as well, that might just be too much pressure for her little brain to handle.  No….better save that one.  So…no musical numbers for Zanina.  I removed her from the nativity and hid her on the back of the toilet instead.  Not very creative, but I had to act fast….but I did snap a quick picture before I moved her to the commode.



I also learned that no one in the nativity is safe, it’s like a Dick Wolf Production, and even the biggest stars can be replaced at any time without warning.  Even Jesus! – (cue the Law and Order sound:  Da Dum!)



Although, being replaced is probably better than being put up on the roof.  Hey – careful! – Who puts a baby on a roof??







Then the other night Disney swept in, took over, cleaned up the place and now the manger is the most tourist friendly place on the block. 

I expect a whole new crop of inns will be sprouting up now, but who can afford it???











And speaking of Disney – this is how Lily left the manger this morning before I whisked her and JD off to daycare.  The manger has apparently become a weight watchers camp – with the help of the Baby Jesus,


                                   


Just look at these before/after pics! 















It really is a Christmas Miracle! --  Happy Holidays everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment