Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Something dreadful, like "sue"


Chapter 3 – Something dreadful, like ‘sue’

For all of the horrible commutes I’ve had with the kids, we have also met a lot of very friendly, colorful, wonderful people.  One in particular was the man who predicted Lily’s career as an opera diva.   
 She often likes to sing on the bus.  Usually she makes one of her dolls or toys sing and dance around on her lap, and sometimes she gets a little bit loud.  One night on the way home we were sitting across from a man who was thoroughly enjoying her “performance” and he said to me with utmost sincerity, “I want you to remember what I am about to tell you because I want to be the first one to say that your daughter is going to be a famous opera diva someday.  When that happens I want you to think back and remember this moment and that I predicted it!”  Then he asked "What is her name?" and I said “Liliana”.  “Ohhhhh Liliana!!!”, he practically squealed, “that is TOO PERFECT, she already has the perfect DIVA name! I can see it now, up there in lights!!! LILIANA!!!” He then leaned over and said much more quietly, “I thought you were going to say something dreadful like ‘Sue’ and then I would have had to say ‘Forget it! Her career is over before it began!!!’”  I just laughed along with him and said something like, “yes, that certainly would be awful, what a career-killer THAT would be!”.  I suppose in retrospect I should have told him that my name is Sue, but he was just so bloody excited, I didn’t want to bring him down.

No comments:

Post a Comment