Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Chapter 13 - Stone Cold Ladies Man


Last week we had to take the kids to a dr’s appt.  We were riding the same bus I always take to get home, but about 2 hours later than I usually take it.  About 2 stops in, a man almost fell on me. He apparently had lost his footing as the bus took off, tripped over a walker that another man had left completely blocking the aisle, grabbed at the walker to steady himself, but lost his balance anyway and almost landed on yours truly (sound familiar? – only difference was, this time the guy was not enormous).  Anyway, he ended up flipping the walker over on to its side, and in doing so spilled the beer that the man with the walker was drinking out of a brown paper bag. 
 So to recap: in one motion, guy almost falls on us, walker gets flung over, beer goes flying and spills all over the place.  (note-  the beer-drinking owner of the walker was seated and was not injured in anyway, save the fact that he’s now out one beer)  A woman sitting across from him says to the man who fell, “hey! – that was your own fault!  You should NOT have grabbed his walker to catch yourself!  You were being laaaaaazy!  That’s YOUR fault sir!  That is YOUR fault, SIR!” – He takes his handkerchief out and starts cleaning up the beer, at which point the walker guy says, “it’s not your job to clean up the bus, just have a seat, man” - - and he does.  The two men seem to have forgiven eachother and all is well, but the woman across the way is still upset about the whole incident.  “He spilled your beer!!!  You’d still have your beer if he weren’t so laaaaaaazy!!”   Another stop later, the guy who tripped and almost fell on me got off the bus and the woman and the guy with the walker continued to talk.  Turns out her mother lives in the same neighborhood as he does, and she tells him that he looks familiar to her, at which point he says, “They call me Huggy Bear, I sing R&B, I’m known everywhere”.  I’m not sure if he rhymed on purpose, but I definitely loved what he had to say and he had my attention for the rest of the ride.  The conversation continued and they started to talk about the TV shows that they like – they discussed Davy Jones and his recent passing.  Huggy Bear said that didn’t realize as a kid how “corny” the Monkees were, but now he knows…oh yeah baby, now he knows… – They talked about the telanovellas she likes to watch, mostly because she thinks the men are beautiful.  Huggy Bear said, "I wouldn't know anything about that, baby, as I am without any doubt a stone cold ladies man”.  He rattled off a few of his favorite shows that he still likes to catch when they’re on…the list included 

Good Times, 

Soul Train, 

Sanford and Son 

aaaaaaaand Gidget

   
 Around the time we got off the bus, the woman was sharing her list of favorite shows and wanted to know why there is always “at least one token fat person” on every show she likes to watch.   That’s pretty much the last part we heard, he still loves Gidget and she wonders about the overweight folks on all her favorite shows.

I would like to mention that my husband was with us on this particular bus ride (time out -  it seems that there’s some unwritten blogging rule that you are supposed to refer to your husband as “the hubs”.  I’m afraid I won’t ever be able to refer to him as “the hubs”, I’m sorry – I’m just going to have to stick to calling him by his name, which is Tony)  So, since we were coming from the kids doctor’s office, Tony was with me for our ride home that night, and I’m glad he was because when things took a turn for the interesting, (which they always do on my bus) he was there to witness it.  I’m happy about this mainly because he is a member of the Doubting Thomas tribe who questions the validity of my “bus stories” saying I’m making them up.  I promise you I have not made up one story that I have posted on this blog.  I wish I was able to conjur up characters like Huggy Bear, but I’m simply not that creative.  So, Tony said if he weren’t with me to see it, he would have thought I was inventing or exaggerating, I assure you that I am not.  Huggy Bear, stone-cold ladies man, walker tipped over, beer went flying, loves Gidget….it’s all real, baby.


No comments:

Post a Comment