Thursday, December 6, 2012

Day 6 - 25 Days of Ridiculous Things I See in Holiday Catalogs

Day 6  -- Stupid birthday shirts

So...today is my birthday, and for that reason I picked stupid birthday shirts as the ridiculous du jour.


Ummm, okay "Like many Women my age...I am 29".  Finally a shirt that can sum up the need to say:
"Hey there,  I'm not really 29. I'm lying about it, but in a cute and clever way.  Like all those other sassy ladies out there who lie and say they're 29...right girls?  Right? wink wink".

Aside from the fact that this shirt is just dumb, and I don't have a lot of patience for novelty shirts that are trying to be funny but really aren't, for some reason all I could think of when I first looked at it was:  why is "Women" capitalized and why is "am" written in script.  Far from making me laugh, all it really made me do was question the font choices - probably not their intended goal.

But what's even more ridiculous than the actual shirt is the write-up in the catalog:


"It's no secret that for women, the aging process slows, 
then mysteriously ceases altogether around 29.  (For men, it's 39)"  

What!?  For men it's 39?? Really? Who decided that?  They just throw that little tidbit at you in italics like they're sharing a juicy fact for those that aren't in the know.  Obviously the idea itself is supposed to be funny, but the statement that this joke applies to women at the age of 29, but is extended an extra decade for men???  The hell?? 

So then I suppose according to their rules, this shirt is only for men?


Ahhhh - HA!!! Gotcha Clever-Catalog-Description-Writer!  So then tell me....why does this heather grey gem come in "LADIES SHORT-SLEEVED TEE", hmmmm? 




 (the prosecution rests)




Here's another one that I don't like:


I don't like it because I feel like it's yelling at me.  Shirt, your font is way too aggressive, making me feel like you might really actually want to kill me.  I kinda feel like the implied (albeit weak attempt at) humor is lost.  No need to yell next time.  

The only reason this next shirt is funny is because I can totally picture the guy wearing it.

He's kind of a sloppy fat guy, smoking outside the convenience store and offering to buy beer and cigarettes for underage kids for a small fee.  It's lucky for him that young people are stupid, but since they're his bread-and-butter, he probably shouldn't make fun of them on his hilarious apparel, which this magazine apparently dries on a clothesline.

And then there are the laugh-riot buffet of shirts likening aging people to aging wines.  Here's one:


and it would go very nicely with a clever cup for birthday drinks:



But I digress...I'm getting too close to another topic: annoying puns and funny sayings about alcohol, which is another post for another day....  

More Ridiculousness to come on that front....stay tuned :)  

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment